Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reynold's Institute

About a month ago I found out that I have been accepted to the Reynold's Journalism Institute. Back in February I applied on a whim, and now I have committed two weeks of my summer to this adventure in Reno. 


Here's a little bit about the program:


The Reynolds Institute is an intensive two-week journalism training program for high school teachers and staffers. Instruction is based on the core tenets of journalism and the skills needed to produce a top-notch scholastic publication. In 2011, we will select 175 teachers for the program. THERE IS NO COST TO THE TEACHER OR SCHOOL.



KEY TOPICS
Multimedia reporting, writing, editing, photojournalism, online and digital posting, layout and design, opinion pages, journalism credibility, ethics and responsibilities, the future of journalism and business-side skills.

OBJECTIVES
  • Help students start or improve a student newspaper online and/or on paper.
  • Enhance the teaching of journalism and the First Amendment.
  • Learn about journalism, ethics, the First Amendment, critical thinking and leadership development.
A free and vital press is a cornerstone of democracy. Independent student newspapers that practice high journalistic standards inform and engage the entire school community.

BENEFITS
The Reynolds Institute pays for:
  • Continuing education credits determined at each university’s discretion upon completion of all assignments.
  • Program and study materials.
  • Travel to/from the Institute that we pre-approve (flights arranged by our designated agent OR mileage reimbursement, whichever costs less).
  • Housing (no roommate) and meals.
  • A journalism reference library.
  • Membership to the Student Press Law Center, Journalism Education Association and state/regional scholastic press group.
I am super excited! :)

1 comment:

  1. GO YOU! I'm super excited for you!

    ...especially the free part, just sayin'

    ReplyDelete

What Do I Want Out of Life?

While cleaning out my desk I came across a piece of my writing from 2009. I thought I would share it here. :) What Do I Want Out of Life? In...